- Bees are responsible for pollinating 75% of the world's agricultural production.
- One in three bites we consume every day is a result of the "hard work" of bees.
- Some crops e.g. almond trees, would never grow if it weren't for bees.
Bee friendly tips
- Bees are attracted to certain types of flowers. So make a small garden on your balcony. Plant lavender, rosemary, sage, fennel, thyme, spearmint, mint, licorice, begonia, angelica, geranium, hyssop.
- Use biological pesticides .
- Buy it organic products . They are good for you and good for the bees. Organic produce means you use less chemicals and herbicides in growing it. Less pesticides = more bees
- "Water" the bees . Bees are very thirsty and need plenty of fresh water. Fill a saucer (pot) with stones, add fresh water and leave it on your balcony or in your garden.
- And if a neighbor complains about the bees in your garden, just tell them you're helping to save them. I remind you that more than 20% of bees (bumblebees) do not have stingers, therefore they do not sting.
Bees are nature's unsung heroes and they need our help. It is much easier than we think.